Fitting Doors - Attaching the Canopy
- 772 approx. total hours
As I write this, these photos
are kind of old, so I can't explain as good as I'd like to.
Anyway, I'm just fitting the doors after putting hinges in.
I did end up having to shim under the hinges of the left door, to
raise the door a tad. With enough filing and sanding, they fit
OK. I tried not to leave too much gap anywhere. I have more
than I wanted on the right side, but I think that during body sanding
and filling, it'll all work out.
The 2 bright pictures that look meaningless are actually of the doors,
from the side, showing that I had small voids where the cab-o-sil mix
didn't fill all the way. I used fresh expoxy and filler with a
syringe to inject these few gaps so that I ended up with having them
Bolting on the canopy was staightforward. I did one small change
over the factory -10's. On the screws around the outer door sil
area, I countersunk them just a hair extra, and filled them over with
filler and epoxy. Unless you total your plane, you'll never need
access to those srews, so I figured I'd fill them in nice and make it
smooth. It looks very nice today.
Then lower, you'll see the cab-o-sil filled epoxy around the inner door
area. That's the bead you're supposed to try to fillet. I
haven't seen another -10 yet that had a fantastic, smoothed area
there....so I made it a mission to do mine nice. In my next set
of photos, you can see how it turned out after I filled and sanded a
bunch. The only real problem was it cause me to repaint more, but
I would have had to paint this epoxy bead anyway.